$24.00
Members: $20.40
Quantity:
Buy

Vintage:

2020

Composition:

50% Sauvignon Blanc, 50% Semillon

2020 Chateau Guiraud 'G' Blanc Sec, Bordeaux, France (750ml)   

About the Icons
A Monthly Wine Club Selection
Château Guiraud is a 128-hectare Premier Cru Classé estate in the Sauternes appellation and the very first château among the 1855 first growths to be certified organic. Once a farm on which some of the original structures date back to the 15th century, the estate was originally known as the noble house of Bayle and was owned by the Mons de Saint Poly Family. In 1766 a Bordeaux négociant named Pierre Guiraud purchased the estate and expanded it, building a house and a Protestant chapel, and naming it Château Guiraud. For three generations the Guiraud family worked as winegrowers and established Château Guiraud as the prestigious the estate it is recognized as today.

 

In 2006 the château was bought by a group of four friends: Robert Peugeot (of the Peugeot car family) and three wine makers: Olivier Bernard (of Domaine de Chevalier), Stephan Von Neipperg (of Château Canon La Gaffelière) and Xavier Planty. Planty has been the vineyard manager, winemaker and cellar master at Château Guiraud since 1986. Tired of chemically treating the vines he started experimenting with organic farming on small plots in 1996. 15 years later, Château Guiraud became the first Bordeaux First Growth to be certified organic and was awarded with the Agriculture Biologique (AB) farming logo in 2011.

 

Château Guiraud has had its own conservatory since 2001, with more than 135 strains of Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc. This contributes to the diversity of grape varieties while also ensuring the sustainability of the vineyard. The 2020 G is a blend of 50% Sauvignon Blanc and 50% Semillon from 35-year-old vines. The grapes were picked by hand using small baskets to preserve the aromatic quality of the berries. 80% was pressed to oak barrels that were used for the Sauternes great growth; the remaining 20% was vinified in stainless-steel. Fermentation lasted 3 weeks. 5% saw malolactic fermentation. The resulting wine was aged for 7 months in barrels with regular bâtonnage.

 

Pale golden hue. Delicate scents of dried peach, bees’ wax and citrus. Creamy mouthfeel with flavors of key lime, underripe stone fruits and a hint of lemongrass. Multi-layered with a so¦t, tapering finish.

Vintage:

2020

Composition:

50% Sauvignon Blanc, 50% Semillon