FLIGHT NIGHT: Assailly Champagne - Expired Event

Date: May 6, 2021
Time: 4:30 to 7:30
Price: $40.00

With special guest Laura Kasta. Assailly is a superb small, family operated Champagne house, a true "grower/producer" in a wine region dominated by huge international companies.

Our Flight Nights had  barely started last year when COVID hit, and we are thrilled to be resuming the program. Show up anytime between 4:30 - 7:30, no reservations required or taken, seating as available with COVID spacing & limits observed. Come join us!

 

Tim and Laura Kasta were long time wine collectors, until one, pivotal day when they dipped their toes into the import business. They picked a place they love and visited frequently, CHAMPAGNE! While dining at Les Crayères over a decade ago, they had met Philippe Jamesse, who arguably ran the most comprehensive Champagne program in the world for the Michelin 3-starred restaurant, and they became instant friends. He guided them not only to some great Champagne on the list, but out into the region to visit Champagne houses.

They soon met the two brothers of Assailly, Vincent and Pascal, who are 4th generation producers and have been making classic style champagne in honor of their family's tradition since the winery was founded in 1899. As their father slowly transitioned out of the Domaine, they acquired some of the best plots in Avize. The village of Avize is all Grand Cru ranked vineyards, all Chardonnay, and possesses the ideal chalk and limestone soils necessary to produce some of the best Champagnes in the region. Vincent fittingly refers to the village as La Crème de la Crème! Their cuvées now exhibit some of the most focused wines in Champagne and represent a single terroir and often a single vintage.

After 10 years of buying every single year for themselves, Tim and Laura decided to share. We have been working with Assailly for about three years and we can never get enough. 70% of the tiny production is consumed in France. The remaining 30% is exported to Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea, and California. We are thrilled to bring Laura Kasta back for her second flight night at Mission Bay Wine & Cheese, and our very first flight night of 2021!

Flight price: Five 2-ounce pours, $40

Wines & Retail Bottle Prices:

Assailly Brut Nature, Avize $67.50
Assailly Reserve, Avize $60
Assailly Rosé,Avize $72
2012 Assailly Millesime, Avize $100
Assailly “Les Origines” Avize $112.50

As a special feature to those who purchase a flight, receive a 15% discount on the retail of all Assailly wines.